Hit and Run
Length of Activity: 40 minutes
Optimal Student Grade Level: 2-6
This could do a scaled down, simple version for K-1 (30 minutes).
Steves Notes: This is a high-level fitness workout. This lesson takes a lot of preparation, but is a great total class activity and worth the effort. Create a reward or special recognition for kids or class with the most "completion bracelets." You can do this lesson as a class (everyone on their own) or in "team groups."
How to Play
Each hit is any of the many pre-determined fitness stations (see below for examples). Flags/markers with reps. & directions are beneficial. Have the students do the station expectation to the best of their ability.
After completing any station (making a hit) the student then must go and do a 1/4 or 1/8 mile jog.
Teacher Measurement Have completion bracelets or large rubber bands to give any kid when they complete a run.
1/8 mile = 1 rubber band
1/4 mile = 3 rubber bands
After a run they go do another "hit"
Hit Stations be as creative as you wish
They may only do one particular "hit station" once (creating variety and experimentation).
Example Hit stations:
- All P.F.A. Stations set the reps in a "middle-ground range" not too easy, not too hard!
- Basketball Shoot 15 baskets
- Rope Jump (Individual) 120
- Long Rope Jump (Group of three) 2 swingers and a jumper
switch any time 100 jumps (may add together)
- Jungle Gym = some set challenge
- Firemans Carry Jog pick up a rescue dummy and carry it over your shoulder while you jog 1/8 of a mile. (Dummy = double pillow case filled with tennis balls
sew on funny face & old jean legs & socks J , you might want 2 of these.)
Medicine Ball Toss create a group of 3 people
alternate your tosses and walk/jog down a set course and back. (Medicine ball = old basketball filled with sand and then placed inside another old basketball then duct or athletic tape it.) M Underhand tosses are safer.
- Soccer Dribble Obstacle Course Set out pylons and have a student soccer dribble (kick) a ball down and back through the course weaving it in and out.
- Old Portable Ergonometer Set the standard
- Old Rowing Machine Set a standard
- Mini Trampoline Bounce & catch / pass ball off wall to yourself, while you are bouncing Set reps and clearly discuss safety concerns with this one
- Create others based on your equipment.